Day 1, Saturday, May 23, 2009, Airports and Airplanes

Breakfast in Cedar City, Utah, and dinner in Clarence, New York today. The plan is to stay in New York until Friday, and then take 5-7 days to drive a U-Haul truck back across the country.

Got up around 4:30. Made some coffee, and woke up Ben. Grabbed some breakfast and our already packed bags, and got in the car. The camera was packed - so no pictures for this day.

I didn't find out until I got back that Ben left this note for Mary Jo:

img1

Got to Cedar City Airport late - about 5:20. But ... in Cedar ... getting to the airport late doesn't matter much. I knew the ground crew from SUU - so, we were checked and through security in no time. Flew out of Cedar City at 6 AM. It was gray and cloudy, and we quickly rose over the cloud tops, so there was no view.

Arrived at Salt Lake City Airport around 7 AM. Did a little window shopping, and got on the next plane around 8 AM. Again, not much to see once we got over the clouds.

Arrived at Denver's airport around 9:30. We had a bit more time to shop this time, and Ben bought his mom a trinket at a jewelry store. We left around 11 AM, and there wasn't much to see until we got close to the east coast. Even then, it was just scattered thunderstorm anvils. I was able to spot the Jefferson Memorial as we circled right over the White House, but it didn't mean much to Ben. We were able to briefly see the Lincoln Memorial - again, Ben knows what the inside looks like, but not the outside, but I could peek in and see Abe briefly.

Arrived at Reagan National airport outside Washington around 3:30 local time (1:30 Cedar City time). Immediately saw on the board that our connection would be late. So Ben got a Cinnabon, and I got some sushi. We called my mom to tell her we'd be late. Then we sat around for a while. Boring. Eventually our plane landed, and we quickly boarded.

Ben_and_Dad_Fly_East

Into Buffalo by about 7:15 local time (5:15 Cedar City time). Flew right over Bob's and Mom's houses, so we didn't see them.

Nobody to greet us at the gate. Nobody to greet us at the luggage. Went outside and there were no signs of familiar cars. I called my mom. She and Bob's family had gone out to dinner after I called and said we wouldn't make it. Then they got their signals crossed about who was going to keep tabs on us, and they both went home. Mom came right over and got us.

I don't remember much after that. I think we ate some leftover pizza and wings. I did take a gander around the house to see how much work needed to be done. I’m pretty sure we saw some of Bob and Sue’s family that night.

I do know that I tried to get us into bed early. My plan was to get up early on the days we were driving, so I was trying to steer us towards getting up early.

We slept in the twin beds in what had been my bedroom for the 4 months I lived at Susan Dr. Ben asked a long series of questions as we fell asleep - history of some kind, I recall.

Loading image

Click anywhere to cancel

Image unavailable

Loading image

Click anywhere to cancel

Image unavailable

No comments:

Post a Comment